How Do You Eliminate Soot and Smoke Residue in Bellflower After a Fire?
fire and soot damage can occur after a house fire
Follow the Cleanup Guidelines Outlined by SERVPRO to Restore Your Bellflower Home
Seeing the damage from a fire can be a traumatic experience, and removing damaged or ruined items are often just the beginning of the restoration process. You should consider using a professional to clean soot and smoke residue and get your home back to normal.
What is the first step in dealing with damage from soot and smoke residue?
SERVPRO professionals have considerable training in identifying different kinds of residues and odor particles, which helps them pinpoint the ideal cleanup procedures for your fire damaged Bellflower home.
What is soot, and what are the most common types of smoke residue?
Soot is a smoke that has settled on surfaces as a residue. There are four different kinds of smoke residue:
- Dry smoke residues
- Wet smoke residues
- Protein smoke residues
- Fuel oil smoke residues
How does the type of residue determine the cleanup process?
All fires burn differently, which means they leave behind different kinds of residues. Many variables determine what kinds of residues are left behind. Still, SERVPRO professionals have the experience to outline the best cleanup process, and they know which products are necessary to eliminate the specific residues.
What is the best approach to remove residues?
- Find and identify the residues
- Identify the surfaces on which residues are present
- Capture and remove the residues
- Properly dispose of the residues
What are some of the cleaning techniques used on residues?
We use both air and fluids to remove residues, depending on the residue types and where they are present. SERVPRO professionals may use vacuuming to remove some residues, while others are captured and dissolved in different cleaning solutions. SERVPRO professionals also understand how to remove these residues after completing the cleanup process.
Turn to SERVPRO of Bellflower to remove soot and smoke residue after a house fire. Call us at (562) 608-8805 to schedule an assessment and get an effective cleanup.
How Can I Tell if Water Damage is Developing Home?
Water damaged the walls of this Bellflower home
SERVPRO Can Locate All Moisture Intrusion and Water Damage Throughout Home
Whether a large amount of water spilled somewhere or there is a hidden pipe with a slow leak, unaddressed moisture brings substantial damage to your home. It is vital that you not only can find the source of the damage but also have a team on your side to restore your Bellflower home. SERVPRO is available to address primary damage, but we also ensure that any secondary damage is located and cleaned up to keep mold and mildew from setting in.
What Are Some of the Types of Damage I Need to Worry About?
When dealing with water damage in Bellflower, you need to know that moisture impacts various materials in different ways. This depends on the type of material, how much water/moisture is present, and how long the materials have been exposed. Some of the common types of primary and secondary damages in and around the water loss zone include:
• Soiling on various surfaces
• Wet building materials and contents
• Buckling or warping of wood
• Development of mold
What if the Carpet in My Home is Saturated?
If the water damage in your home is clean water from a tub that overflowed or a slow-leaking pipe, our team begins by extracting moisture from the carpet. It is never a good idea to wait for the carpet to dry naturally, even if you try to ventilate the room with fans or a dehumidifier. We use light wands and rovers (weighted extractors) that help us to pull out as much moisture from the carpets as possible. Instead of having to pull up the carpet, we do whatever possible to use in-place drying methods.
Why is In-Place Drying Best?
Whenever possible, removing water with in-place drying allows us to dry the water loss zone without excessive disruption efficiently. This drying must take place quickly, and our skilled technicians follow a strict protocol that helps prevent water from migrating further. In-place drying works by:
• Using a wanded extractor and performing several initial passes to halt water from migrating into dry carpet areas.
• Using weighted extractors to help squeeze water from the carpet and the padding below.
• Starting in the center of the room, moving outward to extract water, moving any furnishings as needed.
• Continuously monitoring progress and testing carpeting and padding to determine water content.
With in-place drying methods, our crew can keep the furniture in the rooms being treated. This avoids the added time to pack pieces up to move out for mitigation. This process also helps to ensure that the carpet is at a lower risk of stretching, tearing, and delaminating. Our skilled team takes the time to deliver a dry, clean result while under the best possible conditions. This cuts back on the potential for having to replace your floor coverings.
What About Other Belongings in My Home?
Several factors determine whether or not various belongings within your home can be salvaged or not. Permeance and porosity play a significant role when helping our team determine not only the potential of saving certain materials but also how to address the cleanup and restoration of them. We often group things into several categories, which are:
• Porous Materials: These materials require immediate attention and have a higher permeance rating. Porous items and building materials absorb water fast and are prone to rapid deterioration.
• Semi-Porous Materials: These are mid-level materials in term of permeance, which includes rood, bricks, and OSB board. It can take longer to pull moisture out of these materials.
• Non-Porous Materials: These items absorb little to no water. However, if left long enough for the water to take hold, it can take a very long time to pull water from these items.
Throughout your interior, multi-layers of porosity and permeance pose a challenge for drying. Whenever faced with absorption differences, our skilled water damage technicians have the training and equipment necessary to address them. We utilize a variety of specialty drying tools, air movers, extractors, and dehumidifiers to work on bringing down the moisture levels and relative humidity throughout your home.
What if it is Too Late To Salvage Materials?
Sometimes, even with our best effort, some severe damage may come from the water loss incident. Issues like cupping or buckling of your wooden floors or staining to your carpets and furnishings can happen from time to time. SERVPRO team members assess the level of damage to determine if any other measures can be taken or if full removal and replacement are required. We can perform controlled demolition of damaged drywall, replace subfloor, and have new carpeting installed.
We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster! Call SERVPRO of Bellflower at (562) 608-8805 if you would like a team to come out and assess the water damage in your home.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – a defensive cleaning program
Get your business certified SERVPRO cleaned today!
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities re-open in Bellflower, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Bellflower today at (562)781-1792 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
It's time for spring cleaning folks!
The SERVPRO of Bellflower team is trained and ready to assist in your cleaning needs!
As we enter April, we’re seeing the first signs of spring. With spring comes more pleasant weather, influencing us to open up our homes’ windows and doors to let in warm, fresh air. Doing so brings humidity and moisture into the home, thus increasing the risk for mold growth.
Mold can grow anywhere that moisture is present on a wide variety of surfaces, including wood, carpet, and insulation. Mold needs to be remediated quickly in order to limit the spread and reduce the potential effects on the health on people living within the home. Mold is capable of growing at any time of year, but the increased threat of mold growth during the spring raises the question: How can mold growth be prevented during the spring?
One of the most important methods of preventing mold growth during the spring is to keep air circulating so that warm air and moisture will not become trapped in certain areas of the home. This can be achieved through the use of fans and dehumidifiers. Indoor humidity levels should not exceed 45%. Look for areas in the home where mold could thrive if moisture becomes present, including cold and dark areas. In order to decrease the risk of mold growth in these areas, it may be beneficial to bring in natural or artificial light, as well as warmth.
It is also helpful to keep an eye on windows after it rains. Rain is common in the springtime and moisture from rain water can spur mold growth around windows and windowsills. If moisture is present on windows, dry the surface as soon as possible. During the spring, temperatures differ indoors and outdoors, so condensation can build on surfaces such as windows and doors. In order to prevent mold growth on areas with condensation, it is crucial to thoroughly dry the surfaces as soon as possible.
In the event that mold grows on a surface in your home, make sure to scrub the surface diligently with detergent and water. After the area has been cleaned sufficiently, it is important that the surface be thoroughly dried in order to lessen the risk of further mold growth. On occasion, mold growth can get out of hand and require large-scale mold removal. If you have a major mold infestation in your home, call SERVPRO of Bellflower to inspect, assess, and quickly remediate your mold infestation.
How to get rid of Fire Damage odors in Bellflower
How to get rid of smoke smells in your Bellflower home
SERVPRO of Bellflower knows that in dealing with the after-effects of a fire, many Bellflower homeowners find that smoke odors are the hardest problem to remove. The difficulty is that odors generate from multiple sources like material burned, level of heat, amount of oxygen present, and more. After extinguishing the fire, determining the exact type of odor residue is often not possible.
SERVPRO of Bellflower fire restoration teams combine multiple cleaning techniques and use multi-phase odor control procedures to deodorize a home and eliminate this last effect of fire damage. With them, technicians can block or destroy odor-causing, smoke residues regardless of the source or intensity.
The combination takes odor removal and control procedures to eliminate residues as fast as possible. Technicians first remove all property physically damaged by the fire. Burned structural and personal property exudes an incredible amount of odors, and removing them clears out what are often the strongest odors.
Next, they remove any visible residues. If the fire burned fast, it leaves dry, powdery residues that our SERVPRO technicians remove using cleaning sponges. If the residue is very thick, staff may use a spray bottle with water or a mild cleaning agent to make wiping down surfaces easier. A slow-burning fire usually leaves stickier residues which require stronger cleaners and perhaps even a scrub brush or other agitation device to break up them up for removal.
If odors remain after property removal and cleaning, then additional techniques such as vaporization are needed to deodorize the home. Multi-phase cleaning starts with chemical containment. The goal is to prevent the release of further odor-causing molecules with a chemical spray that stops it or slows down enough to move to the next phase.
The final step to eliminate odors is thermal fogging. Technicians disperse a solvent-based deodorant using a commercial fogger. The heating element breaks down the deodorant to the same size particles as the odor so they can penetrate walls and furniture just as deeply.
Treating homes and personal property for odors can be an extensive process. If you are dealing with the effects of fire damage in your home, call SERVPRO of Bellflower at (562)608-8805 to schedule an inspection and begin restoration.
The Do’s and Don’ts with Fire and Smoke Damage.
SERVPRO of Bellflower specializes in Fire restoration
Fire damage can be scary , until help arrives here are some tips to help minimize damage.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Wash both sides of leaves on the house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Bellflower.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, Radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
The world is getting a bit scary right now...Is your business prepared to handle an emergency?
The world is getting a tad bit crazy...Are you ready to handle any emergency situation?
Let's admit it... there is so much overwhelming stuff going on in the world right now, and so, the time has come to ask ourselves, "Do I have an emergency plan in place in case of any unprecedented possible catastrophe?" If there was to be a fire in your home or business, do you know what to do or how to handle it? What if there was a storm and your place of business was damaged, do you have a plan in place to make sure you minimize the damage to avoid all sorts of expensive subsequent damage?
Did you know that as many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO of Bellflower Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
Ready to Get Started? Call SERVPRO of Bellflower today! (562)608-8805
New year, be ready!
Happy new year! Its time to be start off the year right!
With each new year, many people resolve to better themselves or some part of their life. This year, make a resolution to be READY. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can prepare for it. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP) will help ensure you are "Ready for whatever happens" in 2020.
In the event of an emergency, the ERP can help minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action in place for your facility, The ERP is a comprehensive document containing critical information about your business, including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations and priority areas. The ERP also establishes SERVPRO of Northern Las Vegas as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, giving you access to over 45 years experience and a system more than 1,700 Franchises strong. The ERP is a no cost assessment; all it requires is a little time, making it a great value that could save you time and money in the future. By downloading the free SERVPRO READY App, this information is stored electronically and can be accessed using your mobile device putting help at your fingertips. https://ready.SERVPRO.com/
Preparation is the key to making it through any \ size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. Having a plan in place may help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive and get you back in the building following a disaster. Don't wait until disaster strikes—resolve to be READY. Call SERVPRO of Bellflower to establish your Emergency READY Profile, and be "Ready for whatever happens" in 2020.
Advantages of the SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- A concise profile document containing only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO of Bellflower as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Celebrate Safely This Holiday Season
The holdays are a perfect time to make safety a priority!
Pretty lights, candles, and decorations are just a few of the items bringing charm and cheer to the holiday season—however, if they are not used carefully your holidays may go from festive to frightening.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to help greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business this holiday season.
- Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents, and candles.
- Make sure light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or before going to bed.
- Use only sturdy tree stands designed to not tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire—like pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains—away from your stove top.
- Designate one person to walk around your property to ensure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
Bellflower Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Bellflower will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (562) 608-8805